Leadership, Effectiveness, Accountability & Professionalism (LEAP) Africa is a non-profit organization, committed to developing dynamic, innovative and principled leaders that will transform Africa. LEAP has inspired and worked with local and international partners to equip over 50,000 youth, teachers, youth-focused CSOs, social entrepreneurs and businesses to lead ethically and implement initiatives that transform communities, institutionalize organizations and contribute to national development.
In 2004, LEAP Africa pioneered the celebration of young people who are leading positive change initiatives in local communities through the Annual Nigerian Youth Leadership Awards (ANYLA). The awards increased the awareness of the role of young people as change agents. Building on successes of the ANYLA and the emerging needs to provide system of support to social change agents in Nigeria, LEAP identified a need for a Social Innovators Programme and Awards (SIPA) which supports and celebrates talented young social innovators below the age of 35 whose ideas and initiatives offer effective solutions to their challenges in local communities across Nigeria.
Union Bank, one of Nigeria’s longest serving banks and a socially responsible corporate organization, has a rich and storied 100 year heritage as a trusted partner to generations of Nigerians; providing them with the necessary support they need to achieve their goals. The bank recognizes the importance of leveraging youthful talent and innovation as a means of driving development and sustainable impact in the society. This focus on talent development as one of its CSR pillars has guided its long term commitment to the LEAP Africa SIPA Fellowship Programme.
About the SIPA Fellowship Programme
The Social Innovators Programme & Awards (SIPA) is LEAP Africa’s platform for showcasing, empowering and equipping young change makers with requisite skills and effective tools for building sustainable enterprises.
This year, for the fourth consecutive edition, Union Bank is partnering with LEAP Africa as a sponsor of the initiative, also providing business advisory services, facilitating knowledge sharing sessions and mentorship opportunities to enable these young change makers transition their social change ideas into scalable social enterprises.
During a programme cycle, 20 social entrepreneurs selected from a pool of applicants, participate in activities outlined for the fellowship year. The initiatives of Fellows cover various aspects of the society, such as Agriculture, Youth Empowerment, Education, Science & Technology, Health, Law, Human Rights, among others.
Fellows are empowered through series of training sessions (physical and online), mentorship, provision of local & international funding and partnership opportunities. These activities culminate into an award ceremony where outstanding Fellows are rewarded with seed grants and showcased.
Who should Apply?
We are seeking applications from budding social entrepreneurs who would be available and willing to participate in the various activities outlined for the fellowship year. The 2018/2019 fellowship cycle begins in November 2018 and ends November 2019. An ideal SIP fellow should be:
- Youth between the ages of 18-35 years, whose ideas and initiatives offer effective solutions to challenges in local communities across Nigeria.
- Initiators/co-founders of a social-focused project/venture/enterprise/ Foundation, located in Nigeria.
- Applicants who have been involved in operating their project/enterprise beyond 12 months prior to the commencement of the Fellowship.
In our review of applications, we will be looking for the following:
- Level of creativity/innovation applied in their entrepreneurial approach towards social change.
- Experience mobilizing people and resources to achieve set goals.
- Motivation for application: Applicants must give compelling reasons why they would like to participate in the fellowship programme and also show a strong desire to increase the impact of their change initiative.
- Demonstrate a passion for social change and active participation in community building.
- Applicants should complete and submit the online application form.
- Shortlisted applicant will be required to provide the following to make the final list:
- Valid Government issued identification.
- Evidences (photographs, videos, fliers, publications etc.) of past projects implemented by the organization.
All applicants must fill the application form and submit via the link provided below on or before 11:59pm WAT, Tuesday 31st of July 2018.
To access the application form, kindly click on the link below:
Interested applicants should kindly follow the link below and forward any other queries to: [email protected] or [email protected]